PhD Bio Technology Admission 2023: Application Form, Notification, Exam Dates, Eligibility, Top Colleges
PhD Biotechnology is a Doctorate course in Biotechnology which by and large requires 3-5 years to finish. In this course, students would need to concentrate on subjects like Research Strategy, Logical Correspondence, Late Patterns in Biotechnology, and so forth.
A student who has finished Post Graduation in Biotechnology from a perceived College with least total characteristics of 55% (for general class) or half (for SC, ST and OBC candidates) is qualified for this course.
Admission process for PhD Biotechnology depends on selection tests like CSIR-UGC NET, UGC NET, Entryway, and so on. The schools likewise lead a gathering conversation and individual meeting round after the placement tests for the final shortlisting of candidates.
The typical expenses for seeking after PhD Biotechnology is INR 50,000 to INR 4,00,000 and the charges might differ from one school to another.
Many top schools offer this course. A portion of the top PhD Biotechnology schools have been classified in the table beneath.
During this course, the candidates should carry out groundwork in one of the significant Biotechnology points which incorporate Atomic Science, Bioinformatics and Biostatistics, Protein Biotechnology, Genomics, and so on.
The job jobs accessible in the wake of finishing PhD in Biotechnology are Colleague Teacher in Biotechnology, Organic chemist, Clinical Researcher, Microbiologist, Biomanufacturing Trained professional, Item director, Clinical Specialized Subject matter expert, etc.The normal beginning compensation for PhD Biotechnology candidates is INR 4,00,000 – 20,00,000.
After Phd in Biotechnology, the candidates can accomplish research work, or they can be enrolled as a teacher in numerous esteemed foundations like IITs, NITs and others. They can likewise procure a DSc degree in related fields subsequent to finishing a base research time of 4-5 years.
PhD Biotechnology Course Highlights
Doctorate of Philosophy in Biotechnology
Postgraduate degree in Biotechnology or Bioinformatics
On the basis of Entrance test.
INR 10,000 to INR 1,50,000
INR 3 LPA – INR 15 LPA
Professor, Biotechnical Researcher, Medical Coder, Associate Research Scientists, Biochemist, Medical Scientist, Microbiologist, Biomanufacturing Specialist, Product manager, Medical Communication Specialist, etc.
Top Recruiting Areas
Colleges & Universities, Medical Research Centres, Agriculture Sector, Pharmaceutical Industry, Research Centres, etc.
Wipro, Reliance, Ocimumbio, Jubilant Biosys, Tata Consultancy Services, IBM Life Sciences, Accelrys, BioMed Informatics
PhD Biotechnology: What is it About?
• This course is a research-based doctoral course that spins around points like Natural Science, Microbial science, Sub-atomic Science, Insightful Procedures and Bioinformatics.
• Through this course, students learn and direct research on the most proficient method to deliver new natural items by handling the previous items through bioprocessing.
• This course will likewise prepare the students in natural methods like cross-reproducing, embryology, and so on and their applications, in actuality.
• They can decide to work in different areas like Clinical Area, Government Labs, Drug Organizations, Synthetic Plants, Farming organizations and many partnered businesses.
• The candidates should finish a research postulation on any of their preferred significant subjects and submit it toward the finish of the course.
Why Should You Study PhD Biotechnology?
• The conceivable outcomes in Biotechnology are monstrous. Whether it is in the clinical field or farming, this innovation has fostered a ton in the approaching time.
• Biotechnology has applications in numerous businesses. Callings can decide to work for various associations, including government offices, privately owned businesses, administrative bodies, or clinical labs.
• The extent of this field is supposed to increment in future. Similarly as there will be improvement in innovation, there will be numerous business open doors in this field.
• The candidates will have various vocation choices. Other than seeking after a vocation in Biotechnology, students can likewise make a lifelong in the IT business.
• The candidates can likewise turn business visionaries. This course empowers you to begin your own research lab, you can turn into a teacher in the colleges and can turn into a research researcher too.
PhD Biotechnology Admission Process
• Admission to the PhD Biotechnology will be finished by the imprints scored in the placement test.
• Probably the most famous PhD Biotechnology Selection tests are UGC NET, CSIR UGC NET, and so on.
• GATE/GPAT qualified candidates will likewise be considered for admission to the course. They won’t need to show up for any placement test.
The stepwise admission process is momentarily talked about underneath:
• Stage 1: Application: The initial step of the admission cycle is topping off the application structure. When you have effectively presented the application structure, you might continue with the further strides of the admission cycle.
• Stage 2: Entrance test: The majority of the colleges acknowledge students in view of the imprints scored by them in the entry test. The cut-off for the entry not entirely settled by the school specialists.
• Stage 3: Group Discussion and Personal Interview: A few schools likewise lead an individual meeting. The candidates will be shortlisted in view of their presentation in the meeting.
• Stage 4: Enrollment: The final phase of the admission interaction is getting confessed to the school. For that, they need to present every one of the necessary records and pay the admission charges.
PhD Biotechnology Eligibility Criteria
• The candidates should finish their post-graduation in Biotechnology or Bioinformatics or some other pertinent discipline from a perceived board or college.
• Least half – 55% aggregate imprints or 6.75 CGPA on a 10 point scale ought to be scored at the Post Graduation level to be qualified for this course.
• They ought to likewise clear the selection test like CSIR-UGC – NET, DBI JRF, ICMR JRF, and so on.
• The candidate ought to be at present utilized in the important field with a research insight of least 2 years.
PhD Biotechnology Entrance Exams
• CSIR-UGC – NET-It is a test led by the National Testing Organization for the board of logical and modern research (CSIR). The inquiry paper contains 120 inquiries of 200 checks and is partitioned into 3 segments.
• JNUET-This test is led by the National testing Organization for Jawaharlal Nehru College and this test will be a PC based test and will be directed on the web. The term of this test is 3 hours.
A few significant dates with respect to these selection tests are summed up in the table beneath:
CSIR-UGC NET for JRF
To be announced
To be announced
UGC-NET for JRF
April 30, 2023 – May 30, 2023
July 9-12, 2023 and August 12-14, 2023
NBHM Entrance Exam
To be announced
To be announced
How to Prepare for the PhD Biotechnology entrance exam?
• At first, you really want to know the specific prospectus and example of the test, and the schedule is enormous so attempt to begin setting yourself up for the test a couple of months prior.
• You ought to make a rundown of subjects and focus on them in view of the imprints designated to them and after that make a schedule with the conveyance of subjects and study the subjects as per the imprints.
• You ought to follow a couple of good reference books for the planning system. Also, in the wake of finishing the prospectus of reference books you can address most extreme counterfeit test papers to check regardless of whether your planning is contacting the ideal imprint.
• Finally, attempt to tackle as numerous as PhD placement tests of earlier years as it will give you an unmistakable thought regarding the trouble level and how frequently you ought to designate to the specific sort of inquiries.
A portion of the great reference books that can be utilized to plan for these placement tests are recorded in the table underneath.
Biochemistry & Molecular Biology of plants
Concepts & Experiments
Cell proliferation and apoptosis
Hughes & Mehnet
Molecular Cell Biology
Cell & Molecular Biology
How to get Admission in a Good PhD Biotechnology College?
These are a couple of significant hints that you should remember whether you wish to be a piece of a great school:
• You ought to have an excellent GPA or a generally excellent rate in your post-graduation that will assist you with getting owned up to a school of your decision.
• Be good to go for the entry test. Attempt to endeavor somewhere around 70-80% inquiries accurately to have the option to qualify the test.
• In the event that your college directs a meeting, be ready with the inquiries that you could look during the meeting.
• Ensure that your application structure has no slip-ups. Any other way, your application might get dismissed during archive confirmation.
• Watch out for the authority site of the college for normal updates with respect to the admission interaction.
PhD Biotechnology Syllabus
During this course, the candidate will have to conduct research in any one of the subtopics given below.
Studying and researching the structure of Proteins, DNA, RNA and other Macro-Biomolecules. The researchers may also look to discover a new kind of biomolecule through this study.
Bioinformatics and Biostatistics
This field involves the application of Information Technology and Data Science in order to properly analyse various genetic molecules. This branch is also used for genetic analysis.
Statistics and Probability Theory
This is a bit of Mathematical field involving all the important theories of Statistics and Probability and their applications in the field of Biotechnology.
Studying the structure, types, function, and everything related to proteins in detail.
Electrophoresis and DNA Sequencing
Researchers will gain a hand-on experience in Gel Electrophoresis, DNA Extraction and DNA Sequencing.
This field will revolve around the study of types of genes present in different organisms, their mapping, and the Human Genome Project.
Critical Review on the Research Conducted
The University authorities and faculty members will review the Research conducted by the researchers. The researchers will have to present their research in detail in front of them.
A Research Review Report
After the critical review, a research review report will be prepared by the researcher which needs to be submitted at the end of the course.
Viva – Voce
The researchers will have to appear for Viva-Voce on the research conducted by them.
PhD Biotechnology Top Colleges
Many reputed colleges in India give PhD Biotechnology courses. The top universities giving this course as per India Today Positioning Study 2019 have been given in the table underneath.
Average Annual Fees
Stella Maris College
Chennai, Tamil Nadu
Women’s Christian College
Chennai, Tamil Nadu
Mount Carmel College
St. Xavier’s College
Kishinchand Chellaram College
Maharani Lakshmi Ammanni College for Women
Bishop Heber College
Ramaniranjan jhunjhunwala College
Jaipur National University
The three most reputed universities offering this course have been compared in the table below.
Jaipur National University
Chandigarh University is one of the youngest universities to be ranked consistently by the NIRF Ranking surveys. The university is a private deemed university providing undergraduate, postgraduate and doctorate level courses in both classroom and distance mode.
Jaipur National University was established in 2007. The University offers interdisciplinary programs in both traditional and distance mode. The University was ranked among the top institutes in India in 2019 by India Today group.
Originally known as the University of Bhopal and more informally as Bhopal University, it was renamed in 1988 after the great freedom fighter Prof. Barkatullah, who was born in the area. It is the main university of the capital city and provides degrees to most of the non-technical colleges in and around Bhopal
Merit based and Interview
Merit and Entrance
Average Annual Fees
Average Annual Salary
INR 7 LPA
INR 4 LPA
INR 4 LPA
HP, Samsung, ITC, JSW, Videocon, ICICI, Bajaj, Wipro,
Wipro, SAP, Oberois Group, Patanjali, Intecons, Bosch Ltd.
DRDO, NTPC, Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited.
PhD Biotechnology Distance Education
• The term for the distance learning of PhD Biotechnology is 2-3 years.
• The candidate looking for admission to the course ought to be Post Graduate in Biotechnology.
• Top enlisting organizations of Distance learning schools are SAMSUNG, Intel, Flipkart, Cisco, Microsoft, Goodbye Engines, Wipro, NIIT and so on.
A portion of the top schools giving this course in distance mode are given in the table beneath.
Average Course Fees
Jawaharlal Nehru University
Lovely Professional University
TERI University: Environmental and sustainability University
PhD Biotechnology vs PhD Microbiology
Both Biotechnology and Microbial science are very much like streams which manage trial and error with genomes and microorganisms. The primary distinctions between PhD Biotechnology and PhD Microbial science have been talked about in the table underneath.
Biotechnology involves topics like Human Genome Project, Biostatistics, DNA Sequencing etc. During this course, the candidates try to produce a new and improved product using biotechnological techniques.
PhD Microbiology deals with topics like in-vitro fertilisation, embryology, study of bacteria, protozoa and other microbes. It mainly involves the study of microorganisms to know about some new characters of these organisms.
Minimum 50% – 55% aggregate marks or 6.75 CGPA on a 10 point scale should be scored at the Post Graduation level to be eligible for this course.
Minimum 50% – 55% aggregate marks should be scored at the Post Graduation level to be eligible for this course.
Average Annual Fees
INR 10,000 to INR 1,50,000
INR 20,000 to INR 1,50,000
Biotechnologist, Biochemist, Biochemical Researcher, etc.
Microbiologists, Embryologist, Bacterial Researchers, Pharmaceutical Researchers, etc.
Average Placement Package
INR 4 – 20 LPA
INR 3 – 15 LPA
Automobiles, Ecommerce, FMCG, Healthcare, Insurance, Oil & Gas, Infrastructure, Aviation, Agriculture and Allied industries, Steel, Textiles, Roads, etc.
Food, Beverage industry, Chemical, Aromatic amino acids and Pharmaceutical industries etc.
PhD Biotechnology Job Profiles and Career Prospects
The candidates subsequent to finishing PhD in Biotechnology for the most part function as Colleague Teacher in Biotechnology, Natural chemist, Clinical Researcher, Microbiologist, Biomanufacturing Subject matter expert, Item administrator, Clinical Specialized Trained professional, and so on.
A portion of the top job profiles have been depicted in the table underneath.
Business Development Manager
Business development managers provide detailed market analysis and help with competitive intelligence to help biotechnology companies formulate and execute growth and investment strategies.
Process Development Scientists
Process development scientists oversee the manufacturing process in an organization’s lab, looking for ways to increase quality and efficiency.
Biochemists study the chemical properties of living things and biological processes, such as cell development, cell growth etc. they conduct complex research projects. They also research the effects of oranges, hormones, biological processes to develop products and processes that may improve human health.
Biological/ Clinical Technician
These technicians use lab instruments, advanced robotics, specialized computer software, and automed equipment to collect, analyze, and model experiment data.
Microbiologists study microorganisms such as bacteria, viruses, algae, fungi, and some type of parasites. They try to understand how these organisms live, grow and interact with their environment.
PhD Biotechnology Future Scope
• Biotechnology is a multidisciplinary pursuit that has arisen as a requesting industry during the new past.
• Other than being a part of cutting edge natural sciences, it has drawn in numerous multinational organizations.
• These days there are different degrees after PhD Biotechnology like improvement of clinical testing and indicative devices, creation of novel assortments of harvest plants and creatures, creation of drug items for the fix or control of numerous human sicknesses.
• PhD in Biotechnology students might show in private or government schools and universities. They may likewise turn into a piece of the public authority and confidential research labs.
• On the off chance that the candidates wish to go for additional review, they can go for a DSc degree in pertinent disciplines. In any case, to be qualified for DSc, the candidates should do additionally research even in the wake of finishing their PhD.
PhD BioTechnology Admissions 2023: FAQs
What is the eligibility for PhD Biotechnology?
What is the average salary of PhD Biotechnology ?
Why should you choose Biotechnology as a career option?
What kinds of jobs are available in the field of Biotechnology?
• Business development manager
• Director of Product Strategy/ Commercialization
• Process development scientists
• Biomanufacturing specialists
• Biological/ Clinical technician
• Medical Scientist