Ph.D. (Food Technology) Courses, Eligibility, Admissions, Syllabus, Career Options, Frequently asked Questions.
Overview and About the Course:
Food innovation is a logical discipline that inspects the processes used to deliver both natural and inorganic food. Creation, conservation, processing, quality control, pressing, naming, and the conveyance of food items are among procedures shrouded in the food innovation course. It is one of the areas of science and innovation that is becoming the speediest.
The objective is to change essential fixings into satisfactory, healthy food sources. To prepare laborers for various organizations, including clinics, cooking tasks, eateries, and food processing ventures, among others, an assortment of food innovation courses have developed and are currently being instructed by colleges and colleges across the world.
Candidates for a PhD in food innovation can seek after positions as food technologists, food quality control chiefs, food quality reviewers, quality confirmation supervisors, nutritionists, and other conspicuous work profiles.
Research on any of the Food Innovation topics is expected for a PhD, and the connected proposal should be submitted.
• The regions relating to food science will be completely concentrated on in this course. These subjects incorporate food science, food organic chemistry, and investigations of vegetable, grain, poultry, and fishery innovation, as well as dairy, and so on.
• A portion of the critical subjects shrouded in the PhD Food Innovation course incorporate nourishment and dietetics, food quality control, defilement, toxicology, and so forth.
• Other than these disputable subjects, the course will likewise incorporate required material that every candidate should complete to start their review.
• The objective of a PhD in food innovation is to find new techniques for processing and putting away food, more deeply study the adverse consequences of existing strategies, and find ways of increasing the expectation of food overall. Candidates will either do autonomous exploration all alone or with direction subsequent to completing the program.
• Furthermore, to these questionable subjects, the course will likewise incorporate required material that every candidate should complete to start their review.
Hopefuls for a PhD in food innovation should do explore in one of the vital areas of food science and innovation and afterward present a proposition to get the degree. The course should last at least three years, yet contingent upon how much examination is required, it could be stretched out to five years.
A candidate probably procured a MSc or M.Tech. in food innovation or food science and innovation with a base combined grade direct normal of 55% all together toward be qualified for a PhD in the field. The candidates will be picked in light of their presentation on the admission test.
In India, the typical yearly expense to procure a PhD in Food Innovation is between INR 40,000 and 4,00,000. The table underneath records the top colleges with PhD programs in food innovation.
Candidates for PhDs in food innovation can look over an assortment of work profiles, including food technologists, quality confirmation supervisors, chiefs of food quality control, food quality reviewers, and nutritionists.
Candidates for PhDs in food innovation might hope to get a typical position bundle between INR 3 lakhs to 9 lakhs for each annum subsequent to finishing the tasks.
Course Highlight of Ph.D. in Food Technology
Full name of the course
Doctor of Philosophy in Food Tecnology
Duration of the course
3 to 5 years
Type of the Degree
55% on a master’s degree from the recognised university or college
Average Course Fee
INR 40,000 to 4,00,000
Academic, educator, food technologist, dietitian, administrator of product testing, inspector of product testing, etc.
Universities and colleges, diagnostic facilities for product testing, research facilities, aquaculture, and livestock, etc.
Average Annual Salary
INR 3 lakhs to 9 lakhs
Why to do Ph.D. in Food Technology:
A PhD in food innovation is a critical degree that furnishes candidates with a few work and examination possibilities. The course’s principal benefits are recorded underneath.
• There is an immense interest for research in food science and innovation. Future development popular for these examinations is expected because of rising wellbeing awareness.
• Candidates with a PhD in food innovation will approach research prospects in different disciplines, like toxicology, food science, sustenance, and dietetics.
• Candidates for a PhD in food innovation get the opportunity to fill in as teachers in both public and confidential colleges and colleges.
• Candidates with a PhD in food innovation get the opportunity to send off their own organizations, like labs, national research centers, sustenance facilities, and so on.
• Graduates with a PhD in food innovation have a few work choices in government research offices, offices that evaluate the nature of food, and so forth.
Eligibility Criteria Required for the course, Ph.D. in Food Technology:
Applicants who want to enrol in the PhD programme in food technology must meet the following requirements:
- A recognised university must provide the applicants with a Master’s degree in either food science and technology or food technology.
- For consideration for a PhD in food technology, students must have a minimum cumulative Master’s grade point average of 55%.
- Candidates should be aware that different colleges may have different minimum necessary marks. Some institutions may set the required minimum as high as 55%.
- During the interview, the applicants will be questioned about their research proposal, therefore they must have a clear understanding of it.
Skills for the course, Ph.D. in Food Technology:
Food Innovation PhD graduates require a scope of refined and delicate abilities to flourish in the work environment. Showing these gifts inside the bounds of the school system is preposterous all the time. These abilities must be created through training. Thusly, students should make a move to learn new things and experience however much they can. These are a couple of these aptitudes:
• Observational Abilities
• Progress Observing
• Mental activities
• Relational abilities
• Procedures for Dealing with Tension
• Instructing about human turn of events
• Be a shrewd pioneer
Admission Process for the course, Ph.D. in Food Technology:
Most of colleges and institutions that offer PhD Food Innovation programs concede students relying upon how well they did on their Master’s certification tests. In any case, a few colleges truly do give admission tests to assess a candidate’s fitness and ranges of abilities.
• Candidate, most importantly, need to apply in the institute for the course he needed to do.
• A student should perform well in the PET and NET admission tests held by the significant Colleges to seek after a Ph.D. in Food Innovation. Furthermore, students should do well in the round of individual meetings.
• After the assessment result candidate need to go through to the meeting round or in a gathering conversation.
• After the screening the subsequent stage in advising or enrolment in the college.
• For enrolment student have submit required archives according to the college rules or necessities.
Admission Based on Entrance Exam for Ph.D. in Food Technology:
The following are the entrance-based admission prerequisites for a PhD in Food Innovation:
• To effectively enroll, candidates should present an application through the entrance assessment association’s true site.
• The specialists will report the assessment date, and candidates should show up for the test.
• The candidates need to accomplish a passing mark or CGPA in the significant tests to be acknowledged to the PhD in Food Innovation program.
• The specialists will introduce a legitimacy rundown of the picked candidates and dole out the students the essential college seats.
• To be conceded, the candidates should pass extra adjusts of individual meetings.
Tips to get Admission in the college for the course, Ph.D. in Food Technology:
Getting entrance to a legitimate college is pivotal for an advanced education research program like a PhD in Food Innovation. The following are a couple of key plans to recollect when you look for admission to a legitimate university.
• In the event that you are intensely keen on applying for a PhD in Food Innovation, you should accomplish a good grade in your Post Graduate degree of review.
• Assuming that you are preparing to take an entrance test, you should likewise get a high CGPA on that test to be owned up to a trustworthy PhD in Food Innovation College.
• Kindly investigate the imminent college prior to making any arrangements to go to any college or institution.
• Guarantee that university offers the best educational program and satisfactory offices to prepare you to master a PhD in Food Innovation.
Entrance exams for the course, Ph.D. in Food Technology:
UGC-NET, GATE and other are the three primary entrance tests that are endorsed by most of colleges for admission to PhD programs in food innovation. The following is a nitty gritty conversation of these three tests.
The National Testing Office directs the National Qualification Test, a national level admission test. The test is utilized to pick students for JRF and PhD programs.
For admission to PG and PhD programs, practically all specialized institutes in India acknowledge GATE results. The IIT Chamber offers this internet based test at the national level once consistently.
The National Testing Office (NTA) directs the CSIR NET, a national entrance test, to colleges that fall under the Committee for Logical and Modern Exploration’s domain. Normally, the web-based test is allowed one time each year.
Tips to prepare the entrance exam for the course, Ph.D. in Food Technology:
The following data can help candidates in preparing for the entrance test.
• As a matter of some importance, Make a timetable for your review time. You will actually want to focus regarding each matter and give every subject equivalent time.
• Go through the test’s schedule exhaustively. Rather than concentrating on a totally irrelevant subject, it will help you in zeroing in on key topics.
• Look at the inquiry papers from the earlier year to have a superior handle of the admission tests. There are a few books for entrance tests that incorporate earlier year’s test questions and the arrangements.
• It’s vital to fathom the essentials of the subjects instead of retaining the answers. You might utilize it to assist you with answering testing inquiries.
• Each admission test comprises of MCQs with a solitary right reaction. Furthermore, there is a faltering grade.
• It’s significant to just answer questions you are sure of. Taking into account that there is a negative checking, hypothesis is to be stayed away from.
Top Colleges for the course, Ph.D. in Food Technology:
Check out the list of top colleges with their locations for the course, Ph.D. in Food Technology.
College name and location
Mysore University, Mysore
Amity University, Noida
Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, Chennai
Amity University, Jaipur
Islamic University of Science and Technology, Pulwama
Shoolini University, Solan
Shobhit University, Meerut
Harcourt Butler Technological University, Kanpur
Uttaranchal University, Dehradun
Top Government Colleges for the course, Ph.D. in Food Technology:
Check out the list of top government colleges for the course
College name and location
PSGR Krishnammal College for Women, Coimbatore
Osmania University College For Women, Hyderabad
Iswar Saran Degree College, Allahabad
Barrackpore Rastraguru Surendranath College, Barrackpore
Government Bilasa Girls PG College, Bilaspur
Government College for Girls, Ludhiana
Government College, Mohali
Government Home Science College, Chandigarh
Jamshedpur Women’s College, Jamshedpur
SRC College Trichy – Seethalakshmi Ramaswami College
Top Private colleges for the course, Ph.D. in Food Technology:
Check out the list of top private colleges with their location for the course, Ph.D. in Food Technology.
College name and location
Loyola College, Chennai
MCM DAV College for Women, Chandigarh
Stella Maris College, Chennai
Bishop Heber College, Tiruchirappalli
Christ College, Irinjalakuda
PSG College of Arts and Science, Coimbatore
St Joseph’s College, Bangalore
DAV College, Chandigarh
Khalsa College, Amritsar
Nirmala Niketan College of Home Science, Mumbai
Syllabus to study for the course, Ph.D. in Food Technology:
Check out the list of the topics to be study in the duration for the course, Ph.D. in Food Technology.
· Cold chain management
· Renewable energy for food processing
· Product design and development
· Separation techniques in food processing
· Protein chemistry and technology
· Flavor chemistry and technology
· Statistical methods for food science
· Business management & international trade
· Lipid chemistry and technology
· Confectionery technology
· Grain storage technology
· Computer applications in food industry
· Modern food microbiology
· Food processing
· Food analysis
· Food microstructure and texture
· Juice processing technology
· Project planning and implementation
· Carbohydrate chemistry and technology
· Advances in food chemistry and nutrition
· Advances in food engineering
· Food packaging
· Automation in food processing
· Food supply chain management
· Advances in food biotechnology
· Agrochemicals and residues in foods
Job Prospects for the course, Ph.D. in Food Technology:
Occupations in food innovation are accessible for undergrad and graduate students. While a bachelor’s certificate is satisfactory to fill in as a food technologist, candidates have the essential upper hand with a master’s certification. For people who want to seek after a vocation in research, a master’s or doctorate certificate is likewise vital.
With a postgraduate certificate, students can likewise find work in fields including biotechnology and bioinformatics, water examination and protection, and drugs.
Job Profiles after doing the course, Ph.D. in Food Technology:
For the food business where they work, food technologists foster novel food things, flavors, strategies, and so on.
Concentrate on Examiner:
The different aspects of food creation, food processing, and food impact on quality are the subject of exploration investigator study.
As per an individual’s actual requirements, nutritionists suggest the sort of sustenance, food, and diet they figure they ought to follow.
Quality Affirmation Supervisor:
A food item’s general not entirely set in stone by quality control monitors after they have tried the nourishment for wellbeing and reasonableness.
Supervisor of Value Control:
An organization’s quality control supervisor frequently endeavors to expand the nature of food created while likewise inspecting the nature of the organization’s ongoing products.
Undergrad and graduate students concentrating regarding the matter of food innovation are shown about its various features by teachers.
Research and development Boss:
Contingent upon market requests, innovative work directors pick which new examinations to seek after. They deal with the continuous examination projects also.
Director of Food Processing:
In a food processing unit, a food processing chief regulates all food processing tasks. They give thoughts for novel food processing thoughts too.
Benefits after doing the course, Ph.D. in Food Technology:
A new and expanding field is food technology. An evolution in this area has been brought about by rapid urbanisation and lifestyle changes. Similar to biological science or pharmacy, this is a multidisciplinary area.
Chemical and process engineering, biochemistry, microbiology, nutrition, and food science are all components of food technology. As a result, knowledge of the chemistry and biochemistry of food components is a component of the subject of food science.
Food scientists that are certified and trained are so needed in this subject. The market’s increasing need for sophisticated food technology has also increased the demand for skilled workers.
Scope after doing the course, Ph.D. in Food Technology:
Following procuring a PhD in food innovation, candidates can work for various associations or lead free examination.
• To help forthcoming food innovation devotees, they can distribute their examination articles once it is finished.
• Candidates who believe that should do extra review can either pick another point to investigate or happen with their past free examination.
• Will be permitted to keep procuring a Doctorate certificate. Exceptional candidates in the field of exploration are given this privileged degree.
• Graduates with a PhD in food innovation can likewise fill in as teachers at various colleges and colleges.
• Candidates who have a PhD in food innovation might possibly send off their own undertakings, for example, processing offices or dinner research institutes.
Frequently asked Questions:
Question. What is the typical cost for an Indian PhD in food technology?
Answer. In India, the cost of a PhD in food technology ranges from INR 40,000 to 4,00,000 per year on average.
Question. What is the typical income for an Indian student getting a PhD in food technology?
Answer. For a PhD candidate in food technology, the beginning pay typically varies from INR 3 lakhs to 9 lakhs per annum on an average.
Question. Can I get a PhD in food technology at an IIT?
Answer. Very few IITs now offer this programme. Through its department of Agriculture and Food Engineering, IIT Kharagpur provides PhD programmes in this area.
Question. Which of India’s top universities offer a PhD in food technology?
Answer. Top institutions in India that offer PhD programmes in food technology include Mysore University, the Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, Harcourt Butler Technological University, and others.
Question. What is the eligibility criteria for the course?
Answer. For consideration for a PhD in food technology, students must have a minimum cumulative Master’s grade point average of 55%.